Best 3D Printer Filament in 2023: PLA, ABS, PETG, and more
Over the past decade, 3D printing technology has grown exponentially, transforming from a niche hobby to a mainstream manufacturing process used by individuals and businesses alike. The ability to turn digital designs into physical objects with the click of a button has led to 3D printers becoming a staple in makerspaces, workshops, and even homes around the world.
A key component that determines the success of any 3D printed object is the filament - the thermoplastic material that is melted and extruded layer-by-layer to create the print. With a host of materials available on the market, from basic PLA and ABS to advanced composites and optimised blends, choosing the right filament is crucial for achieving high quality, durable and dimensionally-accurate prints from the best 3D printers of 2023.
This blog post will discuss some of the best 3D printer filaments to use in 2023 based on key properties like printability, strength, appearance and suitability for different applications. We will be reviewing popular filaments from Geeetech like PLA, ABS, PETG, and speciality materials, that deliver exceptional performance, reliability and value when used with the top 3D printers. Whether you are a hobbyist printer or an industrial design studio, this guide will help identify the ideal filament to match your specific 3D printing needs and printer model.
1. Geeetech PLA 3D Printer Filament Matte:
Geeetech PLA Matte filament provides an excellent option for 3D prints requiring a smooth, matte finish free of visible layer lines. Made from polylactic acid, a biodegradable and environmentally-friendly material derived from renewable sources like corn starch, Geeetech PLA Matte offers superb printability on desktop FDM printers.
The matte texture hides layer lines extremely well, giving prints a premium, injection-moulded appearance. This makes the filament ideal for artistic prints, architectural models, photography props, cosplay accessories or creative décor pieces requiring a clean, minimalist aesthetic. The matte surface also has the benefit of diffusing light reflection, improving visibility.
Geeetech PLA 3D Printer Filament Matte provides great consistency in diameter along its length and tight dimensional correctness of +/- 0.03mm. This guarantees compatibility with popular desktop 1.75mm printers, including Creality, FlashForge, Ultimaker, etc. To avoid jams, under-extrusion, or uneven prints, the roundness of the filament is carefully regulated. Geeetech PLA Matte filament promises users a hassle-free experience and results of the highest caliber.
2. Geeetech PETG 3D Printer Filament:
Geeetech PETG filament provides a great balance of durability, flexibility and ease of printing. Made from glycol modified polyethylene terephthalate, PETG combines many of the advantages of ABS while avoiding some of the issues like warping and shrinkage.
Compared to PLA, Geeetech PETG 3D Printer Filament offers significantly higher impact resistance, making it suitable for functional prints subject to mechanical stresses. The layer adhesion is also strong, resulting in parts with good toughness. PETG maintains its shape well when exposed to temperatures up to 80°C, preventing warping or deformation under normal use.
Furthermore, PETG does not tend to shrink as drastically as ABS during printing and cooling. This dimensional stability allows large, intricate prints to be completed with far less risk of detachment from the print bed or cracking due to internal stresses. Fine details are preserved better than materials like ABS.
With an accuracy of +/- 0.03mm, Geeetech PETG reliably adheres to the 1.75mm filament standard, ensuring broad compatibility with most desktop 3D printers on the market. The quality control applied during production keeps the diameter consistency and roundness within a tight tolerance, minimizing print defects.
3. Geeetech ABS 3D Printer Filament:
Known for its strength and thermal resistance, Geeetech ABS filament is a great choice for printing durable parts and prototypes needed to withstand higher temperatures. Made from Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene polymer, ABS offers significantly higher tensile strength versus PLA, making it ideal for functional components.
The layer adhesion of ABS allows strong, interlocking bonds between print layers, enabling vertically strong parts that are optimized for mechanical stresses. ABS can also bend and flex more than PLA before fracturing or cracking. These properties enable ABS to be used for engineering applications like jigs, fixtures, robot parts and other structural components.
Geeetech ABS 3D Printer filament has high accuracy and consistency, with a tolerance of +/- 0.03mm to match standard 1.75mm printers. This prevents under-extrusion, skipping or stripping of the filament during printing. The roundness of the filament is also well controlled to enable smooth, uninterrupted material flow.
Furthermore, Geeetech ABS has good thermal properties, with heat deflection temperatures around 85°C, enabling better performance in warmer environments. The high glass transition temperature of ABS minimizes the risk of prints becoming soft, warped or distorted in outdoor applications during summer months.
4. Geeetech PLA 3D Printer Filament Luminous:
Geeetech PLA Luminous filament is an intriguing specialty material that, when exposed to light, provides a brilliant glow-in-the-dark effect. This makes it ideal for printing original artwork, cosplay props, fancy dress accessories, and ornamental things that will glow in low light.
The 1.75mm PLA filament has a photoluminescent pigment that produces the illumination. The pigments become activated and absorb the light photons when exposed to UV or sunlight. They continue to glow in the absence of light, producing a cool fluorescent appearance without the use of batteries or electricity.
Geeetech PLA Luminous offers vibrant glow colors green and blue that shine brightly for hours after charging with light. Printed objects can be charged quickly by leaving under direct sunlight for 20-30 minutes. The luminous intensity and duration depends on the thickness and infill of the printed parts.
While PLA Luminous has all the great benefits of standard PLA like low warping, easy printing and smoothing, it does require some care during printing and post-processing. Overheating can dull the glow effect so optimal nozzle temperatures around 190°C-220°C are recommended. Sanding and vapour treatments also need to be minimised to preserve the photoluminescent pigment near the surface.
When the proper precautions are taken, Geeetech PLA 3D Printer Filament Luminous filament enables makers, cosplayers, artists and designers to easily create glow-in-the-dark 3D printed objects perfect for parties, events, Halloween costumes and novel gifts.
5. Geeetech PLA 3D Printer Filament Silk:
Geeetech PLA Silk filament provides a beautiful sheen and smooth finish reminiscent of real silk. The matte-metallic appearance gives prints an eye-catching and luxurious look, resembling metal-plated objects.
The secret behind the unique pearlescent surface lies in tiny micro-particles embedded within the PLA filament. These particles diffract and reflect light in different directions as the print is viewed from various angles. This creates an elegant shimmering effect without visible layer lines.
In addition to the silk-like aesthetic properties, Geeetech PLA Silk offers excellent printability identical to standard PLA. It has low warping and shrinking tendencies, allowing large overhangs and bridges to be printed reliably. The dimensional accuracy of +/- 0.03mm ensures full compatibility with 1.75mm desktop printers.
For decorative prints, jewelry, art sculptures, cosplay props or other creative designs requiring visual appeal, Geeetech PLA 3D Printer Filament Silk filament enables makers to achieve beautiful smooth surfaces that glisten and shine. The colors range from solid metallic tones to dual-color gradients that transition between hues.
Compared to painting or metal plating finished 3D prints, using silk filament allows achieving shimmering surfaces directly off the print bed with zero post-processing. This makes the material convenient and economical for giving standard PLA prints a touch of luxury.
6. Geeetech PLA 3D Printer Filament:
For those seeking an all-round reliable printing material, Geeetech's standard PLA filament delivers a perfect balance of quality, performance and value. Made from polylactic acid, it combines ease of use with dimensional accuracy at an affordable price point.
Geeetech PLA is manufactured with tight tolerances to ensure a consistent diameter of 1.75mm, with minimal deviations of +/- 0.03mm. This enables excellent reliability across a wide range of desktop FDM printers. The roundness of the filament is also precisely controlled to prevent jams or stripping issues during printing.
Comparing Geeetech PLA to other materials, it performs better with less warping and shrinking. Without extra supports, overhangs and bridges are dependably printable. Curved surfaces are smooth because of the matte surface finish's ability to conceal layer lines. In addition, PLA does not emit fumes when printed, making it perfect for usage in the home and in the school.
Geeetech PLA prints easily on a variety of bed materials, including as BuildTak, glass, and blue painter's tape, with recommended nozzle temperatures between 190°C and 220°C. Obozing and stringing are reduced by the thermal characteristics.
Available in a spectrum of vivid colors as well as lustrous special editions, Geeetech PLA 3D Printer Filament is suitable for an endless array of applications from design prototypes, cosplay accessories, architectural models, DIY crafts and more. Given its versatility, printability and cost-effectiveness, it is a great starting material for novice makers.
Comparison of Geeetech Filaments:
With a diverse range of filaments to choose from, it can be tricky deciding the right material for your application. Here is a comparative overview of the key properties of the Geeetech filaments discussed:
● Geeetech PLA Matte offers the most visually smooth, matte surface finish that hides layer lines extremely well for artistic prints. It has low warping and good all-round printability.
● Geeetech PETG excels in durability, temperature resistance and layer adhesion making it ideal for mechanical applications needing impact strength. It minimizes warping issues common with ABS.
● Geeetech ABS provides the highest tensile strength and thermal resistance, suitable for engineering parts needing heat stability and structural rigidity. However, it is prone to some warping.
● Geeetech PLA Luminous creates unique glow-in-the-dark effects perfect for decorative pieces, jewelry, cosplay and costumes. But it requires some special handling to preserve luminosity.
● Geeetech PLA Silk delivers gorgeous metallic shimmering finishes reminiscent of real silk. The pearlescent sheen is eye-catching for artistic sculptures and props.
● Geeetech standard PLA offers the best all-round balance of printability, color choices and affordability. It's easy to use for beginners and suitable for an endless array of applications.
The optimal filament comes down to the specific needs of the application, whether that prioritizes aesthetics, mechanical performance, special effects or economics. Geeetech provides a filament to match virtually any 3D printing requirement.
Tips for Successful 3D Printing with Geeetech Filaments:
To achieve the best results with Geeetech filaments, here are some useful tips:
1. Storage: Filaments should be kept in a cool, dry area away from direct sunlight and moisture. Exposure to humidity can make filament brittle. Use sealed bags or containers with desiccant packs.
2. Machine Settings: Refer Geeetech's recommended print settings for optimal nozzle and bed temperature, print speeds, retraction, etc. Fine-tune settings for your specific printer.
3. Bed Adhesion: Print on surfaces like PEI, BuildTak, or use adhesives like glue sticks for the best first layer adhesion, especially with tricky materials like ABS.
4. Nozzle Condition: Use a high quality, non-worn nozzle for uniform extrusion. Replace nozzle periodically to prevent clogs or under-extrusion.
5. Filament Quality: Avoid dust, fragments or bubbles in filament. Use a filament filter to catch impurities before entering the extruder.
6. Retraction: Adjust retraction settings to prevent oozing and stringing, especially important for flexible filaments like PETG.
7. Cooling: Optimize fan cooling to maintain overhangs and bridges. But some materials like ABS benefit from reduced cooling.
8. Warping: Use enclosures, brims, adhesives or lower ambient temperatures to minimize warping of materials like ABS.
Following these best practices will help in achieving successful prints with Geeetech filaments. Pay attention to the specific needs of each material to optimize the printing process.
Examples of Geeetech Filaments' Applications:
● Costume Armor - A cosplayer 3D printed a wearable Iron Man suit using Geeetech's ABS filament for the red and gold armor panels. The ABS parts matched the original's strength and glossy appearance.
● Prototypes - An engineering startup used PETG to iterate functional prototypes of their product, taking advantage of the material's durability, temperature resistance and minimal warping.
● Sculptures - An artist printed abstract art sculptures with Silk PLA filament, attracted by the pearlescent metallic sheen. The pieces were instant conversation starters at an art exhibition.
● Board Game - A hobbyist maker created glow-in-the-dark game pieces and custom accessories for a zombie board game using luminous green PLA. These added a cool aesthetic during night gameplay.
● Decor Lampshades - Interior designers printed custom lampshades fitting Edison-style bulbs using matte white PLA - the texture beautifully diffused and softened the lighting in a lounge.
● Jewelry - An Etsy seller 3D printed minimalist jewelry pieces like rings and bracelets in silk copper PLA filament. The shiny metal-like finish helped sales stand out.
Geeetech filaments enabled all these stunning and creative applications by putting high performance materials directly in the hands of makers and enthusiasts. The possibilities are endless!
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about 3D printing with Geeetech filaments along with useful additional resources:
1. What temperatures should I use for printing Geeetech filaments?
PLA: 190°C - 220°C nozzle temp is recommended.
PETG: 220°C - 250°C nozzle temp is typical.
ABS: 225°C - 260°C nozzle temp gives good results.
2. What print bed surfaces work best with Geeetech filaments?
PEI, BuildTak, blue painter's tape, gluestick and ABS slurry work well. Proper bed prep is key for adhesion.
3. How can I get a smooth surface finish with Geeetech filaments?
Print at low layer heights of 0.1mm or 0.2mm. Sand and use filler primer before painting. Vapor smoothing PLA works too.
4. Why is my ABS print warping on the bed?
An enclosure, brim, hotter bed temp, ABS slurry and reduced drafts can help minimize warping.
Thanks to the continued development of materials like Geeetech's selection of high-performance filaments, the world of 3D printing keeps growing at an impressive rate. Having the appropriate filament for your particular needs is essential to maximizing the potential of desktop 3D printing as the applications and possibilities expand.
Geeetech's extensive selection of PLA, ABS, PETG, specialty, and composite filaments appeals to both experienced design studios and beginning producers. Geeetech gives consumers the tools they need to transform digital files into physical items and realize their creative dreams by offering cutting-edge materials that are ideal for 3D printing.
To conveniently purchase any of the Geeetech filaments discussed in this guide, visit GearBerry - a leading online retailer offering an expansive range of 3D printers, laser engravers, materials, and accessories for makers. With competitive pricing, fast shipping, and exceptional customer service, GearBerry aims to make innovative manufacturing technologies accessible to all. Check them out to get your hands on the same great Geeetech filaments used in many of the projects and applications highlighted here.
The world of 3D printing will continue evolving rapidly, but filaments like Geeetech's will empower your ideas today and into the future.